Curtiss P-40E - Halinski - 1/33

• This kit was not in my plans for the near future. However, a Group Build about shark mouths on the Portuguese forum changed the plans and I don’t complain. Rather the opposite, as the P-40 is an Halinski from the period they were more productive on completely new kits.

So, I hope to be happy for quite a while with 620 parts. They are printed on 4 colored pages and 1,5 pages on thin paper. The kit, as shown in the first pictures, includes the usual assembly drawings. Everything looks neat, well-engineered, well designed and well painted, including, of course, a huge shark mouth…

• Hi Ricardo,

the kit looks quite good. And should give a lot of pleasure to you while building it.

I hope you will have much fun with the shark-mouth.

Best regards
    Thomas

• Hi Ricardo,
    This model was on top of my list but then I have chosen the Iowa first. It is a very nice model and I am looking forward to seeing it from you.
    Regards
    Gerd

• Moi Ricardo,

this fighter wasn't one of the best, but surely one of the most attractive planes in the US-AirForce, not at last because of the often seen shark-mouth.
    I'm looking forward to your version of this Kittyhawk! cool1

lg.
    Tommi

• Welcome aboard, friends! Yes, a P-40 without a shark mouth is not more than a P-20 grins 2
    I started with the cockpit. Today's pictures include the middle fuselage structure, in the cockpit area. As usual, I didn't buy the laser cut parts. There is nothing "impossible" to cut, here...

• Andy!!!!! How could you??!! It was a secret motz1 grins 2 rotwerd1

A usual when strength is not needed, I swapped the proposed wires by rolled paper bits. They are more straightforward to paint and to glue. The seat supports are clearly in this category.

• Thank you, Andy. Much appreciated frech 1

The cockpit side panels are very shallow. Comparing with others, it looks like the pilot head was well above the canopy base. Regarding the detail level, it is a typical Halinski…

• Zitat von Ricleite

The cockpit side panels are very shallow. Comparing with others, it looks like the pilot head was well above the canopy base.

I heard that the pilots liked the cockpit of the P40 because it was very spacious.
    The pilots had a joke about that - "what do you do when you're in a P-40 and someone is shooting at you? You get up and run from side to side in the cockpit to avoid the bullets...!"

Gruesse,
    Norm
    bä1

Zehntausend Teile sind auch nicht schwieriger.
    Die dauern nur länger... les 3

Versemmelte Werke ach1

• Good one, Norm grins 2 The cockpit doesn't look that big. Well, the Spitfire cockpit is much narrower...
    Assembling the cockpit side panels was a piece of cake. The canopy rails were a bit trickier, as they involve butt gluing of long and slim parts.

• @ Tommi and Andy – you know, Halinski takes care of the weathering zwinker2

@ Norm – as you can check…

The instrument panel is simple. On some Halinskis, there is a sandwich with a plastic sheet in the middle, in order to look like glass. Not on this case. The gunsight is small and fragile.I’ll put it off until much later in the assembly.

• Hahahaha the gunsight looks as if it would fit perfectly into a little room with a lock on the door...
    happy1 happy1 happy1

Gruesse,
    Norm
    bä1

Zehntausend Teile sind auch nicht schwieriger.
    Die dauern nur länger... les 3

Versemmelte Werke ach1

• The master ist at it again. I will follow your building report once again. Very closely!
    @ Norm: happy1

Cheers, Martin

03.11.2022 fertig: Spitfire MK.V auf Schwimmern, Models by Marek, 2. Anlauf.

09.10.2023 fertig: Wettbewerbsmodell Fairbanks Morse CFA-16 der Canadian National Railway, HS Design, 1:45

18.01.2024 fertig: Batmobile, Christopher Spitler, 1:24

20.01.2024 wieder begonnen: Supermarine Seafire LF MK.III, Models by Marek, 1:33

• @ Norm – indeed!!! By the way, the resemblance is better on the instructions because such things, for some obscure reason, seldom have transparent tops grins 2

Welcome aboard, Martin and Vladimir prost2

The assembly sequence for the middle fuselage skin parts may look unorthodox. The objective was to ease the skin parts alignment and get regular joints. I’d say that it worked well.

• Dieses Thema enthält 80 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.