Grumman Bearcat - 1/33 - GPM

• Thank you very much for the comments, friends :-)

@ Hagen - right! Clipped wings, oversize stabilizer and a fat barrel in the middle grins 2

The wing mechanism works satisfactorily. The joints remain visible but they are not too apparent. As there are card formers both inside and outside the joint section, the only “trick” is to glue the paper pipe at the correct place in the fixed part of the wing.

• And there it is! Definitely, the Bearcat has an elegance of its own. I was going to write “fat” but “strong” is very much more appropriated! The term applies to many fighters with a radial engine but maybe not so much as in this case.

As the wing outer panels are movable, I took more pictures than usual. The wings don’t need to be retracted for the plane to fill the side pictures…

• Do you like cats? I do, particularly of the Grumman variety. These two would fit well in any “my engine is bigger than yours” contest. After FlyModel’s Tigercat and GPM’s Bearcat, I’d like to make Halinski’s Hellcat. A new kit has been announced for a loooong time. Will it be published in 2017? Needless to say, I intend to be a client.

• Hi Rick,

another incredibly neat build from your skilled hands. How do you do it? It´s superb!
      I understand your desire of building all the "cats" by Grumman, that´s a nice challenge.
      Do you already own kits of the F-3F (kit available from Modelik), the Grumman XF5F Skyrocket (available from Karton Militaria; remained a prototype, but taught Grumman lots of valuable lessons for the Tigercat), the Wildcat and the Hellcat?

Cheers, Martin
      Selig, die über sich selber lachen können, denn sie werden ein sehr heiteres Leben führen! frech 1
      Meine Machwerke

Im Bau: Spitfire FR.MK.IX, Halinski. Aktuell das detailfetischistische Cockpit. Mühsam ernährt sich das Eichhörnchen...
    • Neu

Thanks for the post, Martin :-)

Well, I'd like to build more of Grumman cats but not only...
      The only "cat" kit I have to build is Halinski's F-14. It looks rather problematic and is not on my plans for the near future.
      I built a Wildcat many years ago (scratch built) and any new kit would not be on top of a whish-list. But I like the Skyrocket, more than the F-3F. Sometime, maybe...
    • Neu

Yepp, the F-14 Tomcat. I had forgotten this one, not being into jets.
      Halinski kits can be extremely time consuming, that´s true: I do hope to finish the right side of my Spitfire PR´s cockpit tonight. After how many hours? No idea...
      Selig, die über sich selber lachen können, denn sie werden ein sehr heiteres Leben führen! frech 1
      Meine Machwerke

Im Bau: Spitfire FR.MK.IX, Halinski. Aktuell das detailfetischistische Cockpit. Mühsam ernährt sich das Eichhörnchen...
    • Neu

@ Martin - A PR Spitfire! I guess it is the one with pink paint scheme. I have an eye on that one. Not both because I have already built a Mk.IX and have a Mk.I and a Mk.V to assemble. But the pink Spitfire is very appealing...

@ Hans-Jürgen - thanks :-) Yes, Merino's kits can be problematic.