Stuart Beam Engine Diorama

• Hello,

Partially machined cast iron parts and odds and ends for a Stuart beam steam engine and a Stuart #9 have been acquired. The diorama to house the beam engine can be found in the 'Architecture' section of this forum.

The engine will be build on another global site specializing in model engine constructions, but photos of its progress from time to time will find their way here.

John

• As far as the builing goes, the foundation will allow the flywheel to spin in a pit. Corian is used as a stable engine mounting material.

• Thanks Adam,
    The plinth is in place and the pit bricked.

Edit: After posting the picture on the left,I noticed that there was still cement 'haze' on the bricks in the pit. This is common and always a problem. The manufacturer recommends sealing the bricks before applying grout with glue diluted in water.

For me, this does not work. I cut to the chase and seal the bricks with spray shellac. Even so, the bricks can be affected.
    So, in the second shot, you will see an improvement. The bricks have been coated with a latex clear sealer artists use to seal work that can smear such as charcoal.

• Thanks Adam,

Here are four 'to date' photos of the engine sitting on its wooden floor. The walls of the pit are bricked and its floor is cement tiled.

The skirting around the front of the diorama is red oak.

As with the other dioramas, a globe valve controls an air line fitted with a quick disconnect.

• I posted the development of the foamboard mock-up of this diorama in the 'Architecture' section of this forum, but perhaps it would be wise to bring everything together here.

For those of you who have not seen those photos, here are three that show where we are going with this diorama model:

The walls and upper gallery or beam floor will all be removable so that if needed, access to the engine will be possible.

• The engine is progressing nicely. In this first photo we see the column with its beam arms initially installed.

I am looking forward to installing a governor that will be powered by a belt runnng around a flanged pulley on the crankshaft.

• Thank you gentlemen.

The engine is finished!

Now attention turns to the engine house.
    You will see bolts in the base of the model. They will hold the walls surrounding the engine.

A window will be added to the west wall. It is good to be able to go back now to the prototype mock-up and determine these changes.

• Dieses Thema enthält 20 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.