Olkiluoto 3 Power Plant - MTP - 1/350

• My next architecture model will be very different from the more common cathedrals, castles and palaces. It represents a nuclear power plant with a pressurized water reactor. As far as I know, the real thing (Olkiluoto 3) is still under construction in Finland.

The model is at the relatively small scale of 1/350. Notwithstanding, it will be a large model, with a base of around 80cm x 90cm. The modeler has the choice to build the “easy” (outside only), medium and “hard” versions of the kit. The most ambitious version has over 3000 parts, mainly for the interior. Not surprisingly, I’ll do my best to deal with the “hard” version…

As you can see in the pictures, it is a huge kit, very well produced. The instructions, in German and English, include both general hints for paper modeling and many assembly diagrams, put together in a A4 booklet. I never count the hours for modeling, as it could result in psychological pressure not really welcome for such a nice hobby. For those who care about that, the kit contains a full list of parts and a rough estimation of the time needed to assemble each building! The parts are printed on 32 A3 pages and one A4. The paper quality is very good and the modest thickness is very much to my taste. There are also the front and the rear covers, printed on thick card, some sheets of 0,5mm card for reinforcement and the enormous base that has to be glued onto something solid.

• The instructions suggest starting the assembly with some of the simpler buildings. I opted to start with the biggest – the turbine building. The pictures show the inside walls. You only get a glimpse of the real size by looking at the doors in a small “box” inside – top right of the first picture. The main floor level is well above the outside terrain and much detail will be added in between...

• I also have this papermodel, but didn't dare to touch it yet.

The space is also one reason.

So I feel very curious about your report and model.

BR
    Daniel

Die Idee, des perfekten Modells beim ersten Anschneiden, bis zum ersten Schnitzer und dann das entspannte weiterbauen...
    ...Papier darf auch nach Papier aussehen...

• Thanks for the comment, Daniel :) Yes, the model takes a lot of space!

The side columns lower section can be opened (cutting the grey triangles). However, they are so small that I decided not even to try. Quite clearly, such parts would be prime candidates for an eventual laser cut set.

• The first picture show what I assume are air-conditioning pipes.The others show the upper part of the columns, placed above a large beam that supports the main rolling crane.

• The columns on the shorter wall have small notches to take the rolling crane rail. Regarding the two smaller walls, they take a fair share of reinforcements, easy to cut and assemble.

• The doors and other apertures can be given a bit of depth by adding optional parts. It is an easy undertaking but you have to look carefully to notice any difference.

• A little break to take care of something easy: the main roof. It still has tabs all around but I’ll probably cut them, as the roof will be detachable to see the inside. The third picture shows something that fits below the main floor.

• The pictures show some big elements of the steam system. The smaller pipes are simply printed. For the others, the kit includes a set of parts to make 3D pipes. I’ll get there…

• The 3 turbine pits start at a slightly lower level than the main floor.

When the instruction drawings are larger than the assemblies, either the first are big or the second are small. On the last pictures, it is the second case…

• The turbine building has a big rolling crane and a much smaller one on the not so tall part of the building. Both make interesting assemblies and a good break from the piping work.

• Each of the 3 turbines is made up of many blade disks separated by spacers. By cutting the blades with scissors, the blades “automatically” set at an angle. Not necessarily the good angle nor perfectly uniform. Anyway, the look is better than with plain disks.

You might have guessed that the turbine assembly is hardly a pleasant task…

• Hello Ric,

good decission to cut all the blades. A lot of work but the result is amazing. The turbines look almost real (at least at the first glance). Neat work on the rolling cranes, too.

Best wishes
    Christoph

• Hello Ric,

60 blades in this size and additionally 60 shims !? Wow, this is a work which I am only able to do with a Maß Bier prost1
    Very interesting model!

Cheers
    Da Norbert

• Thanks for the comments, Christoph and Norbert :)
    @ Christoph - the first picture below shows one turbine a bit closer. It still looks fair but the blade angle variation is clearly visible...
    @ Norbert - the bigger discs are properly cut. The smaller ones may not have the correct number of blades but that's almost impossible to spot lala1

The generator makes an interesting assembly. The large cylinder is hidden and, as I made a continuous rod, is very hard to expose again.

• Hello Ricardo,

a nuclear power plant - a real strange thing for someone usually building cathedrals, castles and palaces... grins 2
    But quite interesting - I did not know about that model until I started reading your construction report.

Well, I'm looking forward to further pictures!

Greetings
    Hagen

• a nuclear power plant - a real strange thing for someone usually building cathedrals, castles and palaces

Aha, a real place to get on knees and start to pray when there a trouble occurs ... grins 3

Liebe Grüsse an alle Mitkleber: Krisztián
    Leute, die Modellbögen kaufen denken, dass sie auch die Zeit kaufen, die für ihre Montage notwendig ist. Aber ich bin alt genug zu wissen, dass es nicht wahr ist.
    People buying model booklets think they also buy the time necessary for their assembly. But I am old enough to know it is not true at all. verlegen2 prost2

• Thanks for the comments, friends :)

@ Hagen - nice to see you back! Yes, this one would look odd near the remaining architecture models. I plan to store it in another place, below the aircraft showcase. The place is not deep enough but, set at an angle, it should fit.

@ Kriszme - good one grins 2 I agree with you!!!

With so many things assembled, it is fit to put everything together. The pipes will be next…

• Dieses Thema enthält 83 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.