DE HAVILLAND DH 82C TIGER MOTH

• Hello all

Some time ago I started to build a model of the DH Tiger Moth (registration VQ-PAU).

The model represents one of the two Canadian DH Tiger moth planes that were operated in Israel during 1947-1948. The planes were built in Canada and served in the Royal Canadian Air Force before being sold to Israel. One of the planes was painted all black while the other one shined in intense yellow.
    I chose to build a model of the yellow plane, which carried the registration letters VQ-PAU.

Not too many clear photos of the plane can be found, however the following picture shows quite clearly the original plane.

The model is based on the kit published by “Modelarz Kartonowy”.

Since the kit does not represent either the Canadian version of the plane or its correct appearance, I redrew the parts, recolored them and to made several other necessary changes (such as designing a new canopy and adding a rear wheel). Ready made laser cut formers are used to simplify the build.

My redraw looks like this:

Next - I will start the build itself.

All the best

Theo

• Awesome, can't wait to see how it comes along. We haven't had a Tiger Moth ever if I'm not mistaken...

Gruesse,
    Norm
    bä1

Zehntausend Teile sind auch nicht schwieriger.
    Die dauern nur länger... les 3

Versemmelte Werke ach1

• Hello all and thanks airgoon.

Time to start the build.

First - the cockpit parts:

That's all for now.

In the coming days I will continue the log.

All the best

Theo

• Hello Theo,

the Tiger Moth is an absolutly great design! Together with her sister the Gipsy Moth, they were a beautiful pair.
    When I saw it right, at the historical Picture, at the end of the row is the black Tiger Moth to see.

Looking forward to your next steps.

Cheers

Wiwo

• Hello all and thanks Fritz Schmitz and wiwo1961 for your kind comments.

A small progress on the model:

The cockpit sides.

And the pilots seats

and

Till next time

Theo

• Hello Theo,

this definitely is a building report to my taste. Biplanes are extremely seldom as paper models and the "Moth" is a classic.
    I got the Moth in my stash of unbuilt models and I will follow your report attentively.

Cheers, Martin

03.11.2022 fertig: Spitfire MK.V auf Schwimmern, Models by Marek, 2. Anlauf.

09.10.2023 fertig: Wettbewerbsmodell Fairbanks Morse CFA-16 der Canadian National Railway, HS Design, 1:45

18.01.2024 fertig: Batmobile, Christopher Spitler, 1:24

20.01.2024 wieder begonnen: Supermarine Seafire LF MK.III, Models by Marek, 1:33

• Hello All

Thank you Chris and Martin for your comments. I do hope that the finished model will be to your taste.

After being away from home for some time I am back in business and continuing with the build.

First - finishing the frame:

The recolored lower skin:

Adding the lower skin to the frame:

The upper skin after recoloring and after making the needed changes in order to fit to the Canadian version of the plane:

Till next time

Theo

• Steady does it. I know this feeling of building with long breaks in between. Just hang on!

Cheers, Martin

03.11.2022 fertig: Spitfire MK.V auf Schwimmern, Models by Marek, 2. Anlauf.

09.10.2023 fertig: Wettbewerbsmodell Fairbanks Morse CFA-16 der Canadian National Railway, HS Design, 1:45

18.01.2024 fertig: Batmobile, Christopher Spitler, 1:24

20.01.2024 wieder begonnen: Supermarine Seafire LF MK.III, Models by Marek, 1:33

• Hello all

The build goes on.

Finishing the nose:

The model so far:

The rear fins are ready but not assembled yet:

And starting to work on the wings:

The recolored outer skin of the wings

Till next time

Theo

• Hello all and thank you Didibuch, PeterPan and Pablo for your interest.

Since the upper and lower wings of the plane are connected to each other with bracing wires, I decided to add at this stage small eyelets to the wings.
    These eyelets will ease later on the rigging process of the wings.

The eyelets are made out of very thin wire

and attached to the inner side of the wings with superglue

Now the eyelets and the wings look like this:

Till next post

Theo

• Hello All and thanks Adam G and Pablo for your likes.

This time - assembling the wings:

First the inner parts of the wings. Note that I have added rolled paper to ensure a nice and rounded fold to the leading edges of the wings.

The upper wings

And with the fuel tank

The lower wings

The wings are ready

Next - I will start to attach the wings to the fuselage.

Till then

Theo

• Hello friends and thanks Sieghard for your like.

Before mounting the wings the main struts as well as the windscreen must be attached.

First the struts:

The struts are assembled and attached:

Now the windscreen (the rest of the canopy was taken off in Israel):

The windscreen in place:

Next I will attach the lower wing.

Till then

Theo

• Hello modelers and thanks Hagen von Tronje.

Moving on with the model

First the lower wings

Adding the rear fins

And the upper wing:

Side struts

Next time - the landing gear.

Till then

Theo

• Hello modelers and thank you Wiwo for your comment.

Before moving on to the landing gear I decided to do first the rigging of the wings.

Here are the photos:

Now we can start with the landing gear -

The front wheels

And the front wheels are on

That's all for now.

Till next time

Theo

• Dieses Thema enthält einen weiteren Beitrag, der nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar ist, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diesen lesen zu können.