Arabian Baghlah from Kartonowa Flota @ 1/300

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Arabian Baghlah from Kartonowa Flota @ 1/300

Hello all!
      I choose this one for my next build, is an Arabian sailing vessel of the Dhow family. Its name, "baghlah" means mule in Arabic; which is a precise term for it, as it is the strenghtened cargo version of the Dhow.

The first thing I did to the model was to apply a coat of wood colored varnish to all wooden parts,as they came in the usual kartonowa kits yellow-greenish shade.

Then I went in reinforcing the structure parts and assembling them, up to this point everything went straight.

From this point on, the kits begins to take a harder course, instructions provide little clues, pieces don't fit properly and there aren't clear references for gluing them.
      Anyway, construction goes ahead, slowly and carefully, and with a lot of dry fitting.

More to follow soon.

Regards!

servus_1
    • Kurt wrote:

It seems to me, that you will overcome all obstacles.
      Thank you for the support! It is eagerly needed indeed!
      Today I had to began going back in the assembly sequence in order to correct a noticeable slack in the starboard side... arbeit1

Then I tentatively glued the upper part of the hull sides, and I left the decision on how to build the stern for tomorrow... denk1

Any piece of advise is welcome!
      Regards!
    • Bonden wrote:

This will be a pretty model! daumen1
      Nothing close to your magnificent Mercury!

Few advances this weekend: the hull is finished, some minor details pending to be added to the deck, and then the rigging challenge will begin.
      I managed to assemble the stern without too much fuss, some two millimeters of the hull side had to be cut out, but otherwise the result is acceptable.

More soon.

Regards!
    • Thank You Fritz!
      I'm sorry, this is my first sailing ship and I'm proceeding very slow with it, even being a much simpler model than the others being assembled in this folder. les 2
      There are very few parts parts remaining to be assembled: the pulleys and sails, that's completely new ground for me.
      These last days I made the rudder wheel and some minor hull decorations. Only for the rudder wheel I went beyond the standard model, it took a lot of time, but it was worth the effort.

Then I began selecting the correct pieces of dried weed for the masts and spars. As the weed is like a very thin sherbet straw, I reinforced them with an inner piece of 0,4mm wire.

This is all for today.

Regards all!
      servus_1
    • Thank you again for your support!

Ulrich wrote:

I would really like to know how you fixed the spokes.
      The rudder wheel was printed twice, so as to provide the front and back side of it.
      What I did was the following:
      1. cut out the hub of one of the wheels and then place it again in its hole, front side down.
      2. glue the spokes (0,2mm pieces of wire) to the hub, following the drawn pattern.
      3. cut out the hub from the second wheel and glue it on top of the first one (sandwiching the tips of the spokes).
      4. cut the frame of the second wheel and glue it on top of the spokes, following the contour of the first one drawn below.
      5. remove all the previously assembled parts.
      6. cut out the wheel frame from the first wheel and glue it to its place
      7. paint the spokes
      I recommend you to have a magnifying lens at hand.

Regards.
    • Hello!
      I began fixing the rigging,nothing as complicated as other sailing models in this same folder, but for me it's an challenging job..
      The kit provides a very clear diagram on how to fix the rigging to sails and masts; but, when it comes to fix the rigging to the deck, there's virtually no information, only whether some rigging had to be fixed windward or leeward.
      So, I had to conduct some investigation on the web on Arabian rigging dispositions. This brought to my attention to a fact that failed to attract my attention earlier: two of the transverse beams on the deck have indications to cut small openings in them, but then, there's any piece in the kit to be glued or inserted into this spaces, so I just did nothing about them. Well, I discovered that those are the places where structures intended to fix the rigging should go. The designer had taken the fact in consideration, but the editor failed to print the pieces! haue 1

Regards!
    • petcarli wrote:

Eventualy you can look into the building of my model of the Schebecke. There you can find some thhings, witch could help you by the rigging of your ship!
      Thank you Fritz! I thought I had searched thoroughly through the forum, but there are so many builds, that i failed to notice your schebecke.
      Although it's not the same disposition, there are many clues to the rigging of Arab vessels that can be useful for my model.
      Fortunately for me, my model is too much simple than all the others, because even the little rigging required is turning me mad! stirn1
      Regards!
      Pablo.
    • petcarli wrote:

Eventualy you can look into the building of my model of the Schebecke. There you can find some thhings, witch could help you by the rigging of your ship!
      Thank you Fritz! I thought I had searched thoroughly through the forum, but there are so many builds, that I failed to notice your schebecke.
      Although it's not the same disposition, there are many clues to the rigging of Arab vessels that can be useful for my model.
      Fortunately for me, my model is too much simple than all the others, because even the little rigging required is turning me mad! stirn1
      The pulleys are too small and prone to disappear from your fingers never to be seen again, or to break when trying to tighten the ropes.

Fortunately work keeps progressing.

Regards!
      Pablo.
    • Thank you for following Norbert.
      Unfortunately it was burnt to ashes alongside many other of my models in a frustration outburst from my elder son, he suffers a psychological illness and has crises from time to time, although he never went so far as this last time.
      There would be a new Baghlah for sure, paper-modeling provides me with the strength to overcome the many problems in life.

Regards!

Pablo.