SMS Gneisenau, GPM; 1/200 scale

• As a new member, I feel I should post some examples of my work and so here is the GPM kit of SMS Gneisenau which I finished earlier this year.

When I say finished, I should say that I decided to leave well alone, in that the rigging completely defeated me and it isn't there! I had read all about modern stretchy filament and superglue but my efforts were unsuccessful.

A nice kit, one of the best I've yet attempted, especially the hull construction which at times could be mistaken for a resin type job. The fret cut accessories set was a great advantage and I can't imagine doing the job without it, although I was surprised to find that the material for this is a sort of stiffened card, rather than the brass sets which I've used in the past.

I use a clear matt spray for both protection and final finish which gives a quite glossy finish which I like.

Hope you find this interesting, best wishes to all.

Chris

• Hi Chris,

you did an excellent job and the result is really great. The only thing that I am missing is the rigging and that would be the cherry on the cake.

Regards

Gerd

• Thank you all for your appreciative comments, very encouraging on this forum where I can see very high standards in our craft!

A well designed kit makes all the difference I would say - at present I'm struggling with my own design and development for a flying boat and there is surprisingly little to show for many months of work; I'll do a separate post to illustrate my point!

Best wishes to you all

Chris